Tuesday, March 17, 2015

St. Patty's Day Thrifting for Easter

I went thrifting today and bought stuff I shouldn't have.  Don't we all get caught up in the find and then when you get home maybe have a little buyers remorse when you have to find a place to store it? I don't really regret my purchases.  Some is for crafting...didn't I say a few posts ago that I was trying to clean out?  I'm still working on that.  Some are cute honeycomb decorations, and the others are cake baking and decorating.  Here is a picture of my purchases.  The lighting is terrible.  I spent less than $5.00 for everything.


The basket of little plastic flowers was free.  The basket is damaged but I have plans for the flowers.  I like free and I wish they had more!  I think the plastic bunnies and basket in the back row are candy containers.  It has a clear plastic covering behind it.  If you have any other ideas let me know.  Some bunny batting in multiple colors and 4 honeycombs.


A cute honeycomb egg with a bunny inside.  Wilton egg baking pans and the Homemaker's Pictorial Encyclopedia of Modern Cake Decorating written by McKinley and Norman Wilton.  I don't really bake or decorate cakes but I couldn't pass up this book.  It has some lovey and frightening looking cakes.  I would love to attempt to try out my hand at vintage cake decorating or find someone else that can do it.  I bought the egg pans to go with my vintage Wilton 3D sheep pan.


Here is the cover of the book.  It is a little rough and has a little odor to it, but the pictures are great.  It was first published in 1954.  Mine was published in 1963.



Look at the vintage clothes and hairstyles.


Different decorations you can make with different tips.  I love the witch and the stork (it's hard to see him.  He is on the top far right side).


Some lovely piped flowers!  I love the violets and pansy's!


I haven't read the book and I'm not sure why they would have a picture of the Swastika, other than these are different piping techniques.


Some Petit fours and a scary miniature clown cake.


A better picture of the scary clown cake and other miniature cakes!


Again I have not read the book but I am trying to determine if that is real ribbon on the yellow cake.  It looks satiny....and lets not forget the classic doll in a cake!


The "Mickey" image is a little scary to me.  His mouth is open and he is taking some giant steps.  I like the "Alice Dear" cake.





And lets not forget the 50's wedding cake.  There are quite a few images of vintage wedding and anniversary cakes in this book.


Look at those happy cake decorators in their casual clothes!  I know I always decorate my cakes in a dress wearing my pearl earrings.


The book was my favorite purchase.  There was also several pieces of paper stuck in the book with recipes and other cake decorating tips.  I always like the papers stuck in the books.  I hope you all have a Happy St. Patty's Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment